Time in the sun can have its long-term effects on your skin causing the appearance of dark spots and imperfections. The term “sun spots” often refers to any dark spots or discoloration on the skin and can also be used to refer to hyperpigmentation. They are caused when pigmented skin cells called “melanocytes” multiply due to UV rays. They may be stubborn to deal with and older individuals may find that sunspots impact their skin even more. The following are a few ways you can improve your sun spots and help prevent future ones from forming.
1. Vitamin C Serums. This is a wonder ingredient when it comes to brightening your skin and protecting it from the sun. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant that can work to protect your skin from UV damage and other free radicals. It also encourages melanin production in the skin which lightens hyperpigmentation and dark spots for a more even and bright complexion. A great way to incorporate vitamin C is in a rich serum so that it can effectively absorb into your skin. Fyab Health’s Brightening Serum incorporates vitamin C and other beneficial ingredients like Ferulic Acid to lighten dark spots and reveal a glowing, radiant complexion.
2. Chemical Peels. Chemical peels like glycolic acid, can help deeply exfoliate your skin and shed away damaged skin cells which can improve your dark spots. Glycolic acid is the smallest Alpha Hydroxy Acid so it works to effectively penetrate the skins surface more quickly and deeply for faster skin cell turnover. This means less damaged skin cells rise at the surface of your skin while damaged sun spots can shed away. Due to this effect, glycolic acid could demonstrate the quickest results. A great way to try glycolic acid for yourself is with Fyab Health’s Foaming Facial Cleanser formulated with glycolic acid and other nourishing ingredients to correctly exfoliate your skin and leave a smooth canvas for other skin care products to properly absorb into the skin.
3. Try Kojic Acid. Kojic acid is truly a secret ingredient for skin brightening that many people are often unaware of. It is derived from mushrooms or fermented rice and it works to suppress the activity of pigmented skin cells. It limits the creation of tyrosine, an amino acid needed to produce melanin, the pigment found in hair, skin and eyes. This beneficial ingredient essentially works to combat hyperpigmentation, dark spots, age spots and acne scarring. Kojic acid is great in revealing a smoother, brighter, more even complexion. Fyab Health’s Brightening Serum combines Kojic Acid with Vitamin C for the ultimate full-proof skin brightening and lightening serum.
4. Microneedling. This slightly more invasive treatment works best for those with darker hyperpigmentation and more prominent sunspots. The treatment consists of a small hand-roller with fine needles working to gently penetrate your skin’s surface and repair UV damaged spots and imperfections while also promoting collagen production. It can be done with a trained professional at a medspa and often yields amazing results to reveal a brighter, more vibrant complexion.
5. Protect Yourself in the Sun. Even if you try all these methods to improve your sun spots, they will not truly go away until you start protecting yourself in the sun and limiting your UV exposure. Sun is an important factor in allowing your body to receive some vitamin D so you should be allowing yourself to spend some time soaking it up. But, it is important to protect yourself in doing so. Always incorporate an SPF of at least 30 into your daily skin care routine and even incorporate hats to ensure your face is shielded from UV ray harm. In doing so, you are able to enjoy the sun’s amazing benefits without the detrimental consequences.