The pressure to have an effective, go-to skin care routine can be overwhelming when you don’t know where to start. There’s so much contradicting information out there on what works best for your skin and what’s the healthiest, but truth be told, no one knows exactly what works for your skin but you! The first step in establishing a full-proof skin care routine is determining your skin type so that the products are catered to fit your needs. We must first determine each skin type before going into which routine works best for each.
- Normal skin: Your skin does NOT experience dryness, oiliness or irritation.
- Dry skin: Rough, flakey skin that often appears dull.
- Oily skin: Your skin feels greasy with the appearance of shine and excess breakouts.
- Combination skin: You experience both dry patches and oily patches on the t-zone.
- Sensitive skin: Skin is often burning, red or irritated due to makeup or skin products.
After determining your skin type, you can perfectly cater your skin routine step-by-step surrounding your specific skin type’s needs.
STEP 1: CLEANSER
A clean and healthy base is the stepping-stone to a good skin care routine.
- Normal skin: If you have normal skin, you may experiment with gentle or more aggressive cleansers. Stick to a formula that contains nourishing ingredients for your skin, whether you like a cream or foam formula, your skin can probably do well with either.
- Dry skin: When choosing a cleanser for dry skin, a cream or gel formula is best. This allows the product to gently coat your skin and deeply deliver much-needed hydration. If you are looking at the ingredients, search for a cleanser that contains Glycerin or Caprylyl Glycol, as they are effective humectants that attract moisture.
- Oily skin: Since oily skin and breakouts often go hand-in-hand, reach for a cleanser that has a deep clean effect but is also gentle. This is needed to clarify your pores and remove any dirt and oil buildup. FYAB Health’s Foaming Facial Cleanser is formulated with Glycolic Acid to effectively penetrate your skin’s surface and clear your skin while balancing oil production.
- Sensitive skin: Because sensitive skin can easily become irritated, a mild cleanser that is oil or liquid-based would work best. An oil-based cleanser with hydrating ingredients like jojoba seed oil, would ensure you aren’t harshly stripping your skin from it’s natural oils which essentially leads to greater irritation.
- Combination skin: When tackling combination skin, you can cleanse with a product that has both exfoliating and hydrating properties. FYAB Health’s Foaming Cleanser combines exfoliating Hydroxy Acids with hydrating Glycerin to combat imperfections while maintaining long-lasting moisture.
STEP 2: TONER
Balance and clarify your skin with a toner to create the perfect base for serums & moisturizers.
- Normal skin: This skin type can often handle any toner, so try selecting a toner that addresses your specific needs, like one rich in antioxidants that can protect and brighten your skin.
- Dry skin: If you experience extremely dry skin, it’s best to avoid toners as they tend to further dry out your skin. If you really want to try a toner, avoid alcohol-based formulas and incorporate one that has hydrating ingredients like Glycerin or Argan Oil.
- Oily skin: A good toner can be a game-changer for oily skin. Try one that is balancing and will help clarify your pores.
- Sensitive skin: Skip the toner or stick to one that is VERY mild and gentle on your skin.
- Combination skin: Try using a more clarifying toner on your t-zone and a hydrating toner on all the dry patches.
STEP 3: SERUM
Serums are usually used to target specific skin needs and are customizable depending on the person.
- Anti-aging: If you want to combat fine lines, you may want to incorporate an anti-aging serum that is rich in peptides and niacinamides like FYAB’s Anti-Aging Serum that will target signs of aging while also hydrating.
- Brightening: If you struggle with dark spots or hyperpigmentation, a brightening serum is the perfect addition to your routine. Find one that has multiple lightening ingredients to get optimal brightening & protecting benefits like FYAB Health’s Brightening Serum formulated with Vitamin C, Arbutin & Kojic Acid.
- Blemish control: If you can’t seem to get clear skin and are constantly fighting pesky breakouts, a clarifying blemish targeting serum may help. FYAB Health’s Blemish Control Serum contains Hydroxy Acids to effectively exfoliate & combat breakout-causing bacteria on the skin.
- Exfoliating renewal: If you want to rid yourself of dry, dull skin, an exfoliating serum can do the trick. FYAB Health’s Renewal Serum contains chemical exfoliants like AHAs and BHAs to penetrate your skin, shed dead skin cells & bring new skin cells to the surface.
STEP 4: MOISTURIZER
DO NOT skip this step, skipping moisturizer can lead to larger oil production and excess breakouts & imperfections along with dry, dull skin.
- Normal skin: Choose a gel or cream-based formula that can deliver your skin with rich nutrients like Vitamin C & E, along with other antioxidants that can strengthen your skin barrier.
- Dry skin: Reach for a lightweight gel or lotion formula that can evenly coat your skin and deliver much-needed hydration. Keep an eye out for humectants like Aloe Vera, Glycerin or Hyaluronic Acid because they work to trap water particles into the skin for long-lasting, deep hydration.
- Oily skin: Incorporate an oil-free moisturizer with a light lotion or cream-based formula. Try looking for antioxidants like Niacinamide, Vitamin C & Vitamin E to soothe inflammation & prevent irritated breakouts.
- Sensitive skin: Similar to dry skin, a moisturizer that is rich in hydrating ingredients like Glycerin & Hyaluronic acid, will help soothe any irritation or redness that sensitive skin experiences.
- Combination skin: You can try incorporating 2 different moisturizers, a hydrating one on dry patches and a gentle, clarifying one on the t-zone. You can also skip the t-zone and only apply the moisturizer to the dry areas of your skin.
This guide should be a great start to steer you in the right way of a healthy and effective skin care routine but remember, no one knows your skin like you! So, try some different methods and formulas until you find what works perfectly for your specific skin.