Pore size is often cohesive with one’s skin type. More oily skin types tend to have the appearance of larger pores. This is because pores are small openings in the skin that release oils and sweat. They often appear larger due to the effects of acne, sun damage and certain skin care products. Although you cannot physically change the size of your pores, there are several measures you can take to help reduce the appearance of enlarged pores.
- Avoid Acne-Fighting Skin Care Products. While products that claim to combat acne can produce great short-term results, they tend to excessively dry out your skin and lead to greater oil production. Acne-fighting cleansers or treatments often contain salicylic acid that works to remove the outermost layer of your skin to minimize pore size and imperfections. However, with consistent use this can overly dry your skin and cause excess oil production to make up for this dryness. Your skin craves moisture, so when you are removing that, it may lead to larger pore size. To avoid this, try incorporating more moisturizing products into your skin care routine and limiting the use of salicylic acid.
- Use Clay Face Masks. Clay works to expel dirt, oil and dead skin that lays deep within your pores. Clay face masks also work to combat imperfections like blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples. Applying a clay face mask one to two times a week can greatly minimize the appearance of your pores. Adding this simple step to your skin care routine can be a beneficial way to draw out impurities in your face and absorb excess oils. Just make sure to avoid applying face masks right after exfoliating as it can irritate your skin.
- Moisturize! If you have enlarged pores, chances are you have a more oily skin type. People with oily skin often make the mistake of avoiding moisturizers and serums, however this can cause more harm than good. As tip one mentioned, leaving your skin dry leads to the production of excess oils to add moisture back into the skin. Incorporating hydrating moisturizers or serums into your skin care routine can help reduce the appearance of overall oiliness and enlarged pores. The most beneficial moisturizer or serum for oily skin is often something that is light and gentle. Fyab’s Skin Vitality Brightening serum is the perfect light formulation that produces deep hydration for naturally glowing, more vibrant complexion.
- Remove Your Makeup Before Bed. As tempting as it may be to fall asleep with a full face of makeup when you come home from a long night out, DO NOT DO IT. Sleeping with makeup on can cause the products to seep into your skin and combine with dirt, oil and bacteria to clog and enlarge your pores. Taking that extra step to use a makeup remover and gentle cleanser before bed may seem tedious at the time, but it can ensure you don’t wake up looking like a hot mess!
- Exfoliate Weekly. Exfoliating your skin once or twice a week is a good way to remove dead skin cells that can build up and block your pores. Properly exfoliating leads to smoother, softer, more vibrant skin but over exfoliating can cause extreme dryness and irritation. Exfoliants with AHAs or BHAs tend to be the most effective in removing impurities from the skin, they also work to deeply penetrate pores and treat acne. Fyab’s Skin Vitality Renewal Serum is a great gentle AHA and BHA exfoliant that works to remove dead skin cells and increase hydration.