Dry, dull hair is often a result of excessive heat, chemical or environmental stressor damage. It can be frustrating to run your fingers through your hair and feel stiff, brittle strands. This hair state also leaves you experiencing a great deal of breakage, shedding and split-ends. You may have gotten to the point where you accept your hair’s state as the be-all-end-all… but there is hope! Whether your hair is dry and brittle from the dying process or from excess heat styling, there are several measures you can take to bring your hair back to its healthy, vibrant ways.
- Limit your shampooing. First and foremost, if you have dry and brittle hair you should defiantly avoid shampoos and conditioners that contain sulfates and parabens. These harmful ingredients work to strip your hair of its natural oils needed to maintain healthy, hydrated strands. There are many shampoos and conditioners that are nourishing and sulfate free, one of the best being Fyab’s Hair Vitality Shampoo and Conditioner. Once you start incorporating a sulfate and paraben-free shampoo and conditioner, limit your washing. If you have dry hair, it is important to limit your hair washing to only about once or twice a week. This is so that your hair may work to produce its natural oils and protect it from drying out. You may find it hard because you don’t like the greasy appearance, but over time your hair will begin to balance out the excess oil production and appear overall less greasy.
- Protect your hair from environmental stressors. Environmental factors like sun, air pollution, pollen and cold temperatures can all impact your hair’s health. The easiest way to protect your hair from these factors would be to incorporate products that protect your hair from environmental stressors. Like Fyab’s Hair Vitality Shampoo and Conditioner that was previously mentioned. These products create a protective barrier on your hair to protect from environmental aggressors. Another way you can do this is through hiding your hair while outdoors. Throw on a hat for protection or put your hair in a braid or low bun to protect it from direct exposure.
- Allow your hair to air dry. One of the most important steps in restoring dry, brittle hair is to avoid heat styling. Instead of blow drying your damaged strands, try a less damaging method like tying it in a gentle towel or simply air drying. It may be tempting to use a styling tool to smooth out texture or frizz but it is important to avoid heat tools until your hair starts to feel and look better. As time passes, a heat styling detox will produce beneficial results and you will notice your strands immensely improving into more shiny, vibrant locks. If you absolutely MUST use a styling tool, use it on very low heat for a short period of time and apply a heat protectant prior. But remember, there are many heatless ways to style your hair like sleeping in braids or a bun!
- Use an oil or serum. Dry hair is looking for any source of moisture to hold onto so it is important to provide it with that source. Applying a hydrating hair oil or serum can immensely improve your hairs frizz and hydration. Fyab’s Hair Vitality Hair Oils are formulated with three extremely hydrating oils; jojoba seed, moringa and argan oil. Applying this oil to dry or damp hair will deliver the nourishing ingredients your hair is looking to soak up and absorb for fuller, stronger, shinier strands.
- Use a deep conditioning treatment once a week. A deep conditioning treatment or hair mask is vital in restoring your hairs shine and moisture. Try a store-bought treatment that contains nourishing ingredients like coconut oil, almond oil or argan oil. Apply the required amount of product into your damp hair from the scalp to the ends and use a shower cap to lock it in. Be sure to wait at least 45 minutes before rinsing it out so that your hair can really receive all the nourishing ingredients in the product. After a couple uses, you will most likely already begin to see smoother, softer hair.