The journey to clear, breakout-free skin can be long and frustrating as many harsh breakout-fighting products tend to leave skin dry and irritated. Whether you have acne-prone skin or the occasional hormonal breakout, finding ways to clear up the breakout without excessive drying and irritation is key to bright, glowing, healthy skin. If you struggle to find a good product for your blemishes in the store, there are some DIY face masks catered to breakouts that you can try at home. The following are some recipes of the most effective face masks you can try at home to clear your skin.
Avocado & Vitamin E Oil.
- How it works: Avocados demonstrate antimicrobial properties, meaning it can help cleanse your skin from any bacteria or dirt buildup. Avocados are also extremely rich in fat so they help moisturize your skin to reveal supple, glowing complexion. Vitamin E oil is a very powerful immune booster which means it works great to target stubborn breakouts. It also helps diminish acne scars to brighten your complexion.
- Remove the skin and pit from half an avocado and mash.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Vitamin E oil to avocado mash.
- Mix everything together.
- Apply mask to clean face and leave on for 15 minutes before rinsing
Oatmeal & Coconut Oil.
- How it works: Coconut oil has both antibacterial properties and extreme hydrating abilities. This makes it the perfect ingredient to target your blemishes while also ensuring your skin doesn’t get dry and flakey. Oatmeal has a soothing and calming ability that makes it perfect for sensitive skin. It also has pH-balancing powers to prevent future breakouts.
- Put 3 tablespoons of oatmeal into a mixing bowl and add ¼ cup of warm water until you’ve made soft oatmeal.
- Add one tablespoon of coconut oil into the oatmeal and mix.
- Apply the mixture onto a clean face and leave on for 15 minutes before rinsing. To remove dead skin cells, gently massage the mixture into your skin for around 2 minutes.
Baking Soda & Coconut oil.
- How it works: As previously mentioned, coconut oil does a great job hydrating the skin while combating bad bacteria. When you combine baking soda with coconut oil, that’s when the true magic happens. Baking soda is an extremely effective cleansing agent that works as a natural exfoliant to fight dirt, oil and dead skin buildup in your pores. It also helps balance your skin’s pH levels to maintain a clear complexion.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a bowl and mix.
- Add enough baking soda so that the mixture becomes a paste.
- Apply the mixture to a clean face and leave on for 15 minutes before rinsing. For ultimate exfoliation, massage into skin for an extra 2 minutes before rinsing.
Tomato Juice & Aloe Vera.
- How it works: Tomato juice is a powerhouse when it comes to fighting breakouts. It contains vitamins A, C and K that work to nourish skin and combat imperfections. It also demonstrates acidic properties that clear your skin by also lightening any acne scarring. Aloe vera’s antibacterial properties can help reduce the production of acne-causing bacteria. It also has a cooling, soothing effect that works great for irritated, hyperpigmented skin.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of tomato juice with 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and mix well.
- Apply to a clean face and leave on for about 15 minutes before rinsing.
Honey & Cinnamon.
- How it works: Honey is one of the most well-known ingredients when it comes to clearing skin. Past studies have demonstrated its ability to inhibit acne & breakouts due to its antibacterial, antioxidant properties. Cinnamon is also known for its blemish-eliminating properties as it is rich in antioxidants. It also works great to brighten any dark spots or scarring on the skin.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and mix well.
- Apply the mixture onto a clean face and leave on for at least 15 minutes before rinsing off.