Lavender essential oil is more than just a lovely scent although it has been a popular fragrant ingredient for centuries. Lavender oil is acquired from distilling lavender plants to create a high concentration essential oil. Lavender oil is known for its healing and soothing properties but did you know it can also strengthen your hair? The following are various ways that lavender oil can improve your hair health.
1. Promotes hair growth. If you struggle with hair thinning and shedding, lavender oil could transform your hair care routine. Lavender oil has been considered for hair growth stimulation after a 2016 Korean study found that lavender oil made mice grow more hair. The hair also grew thicker and faster when lavender oil was applied topically. Lavender oil can also help strengthen your strands against breakage and split-ends.
2. Helps calm scalp irritation. A healthy scalp is often directly linked to fuller, healthier hair. When your scalp is experiencing dryness and inflammation, your hair could feel the negative impacts. When used topically, lavender oil is known to reduce inflammation and speed up the healing process. These effects were demonstrated in a 2012 study that demonstrated the soothing effects of the oil on the skin.
3. It’s antimicrobial. Lavender oil can actually help keep your scalp and hair clean with its ability to help prevent harmful bacteria and fungi from growing. In doing so, lavender oil can help combat scalp issues like irritation and dandruff.
4. Combats and prevents lice. Lice can be extremely pesky to get rid of and is overall a huge bother. Treatments that claim to eliminate lice can often leave your hair feeling dry, dull and brittle. A 2011 study found that lavender essential oil could actually prevent lice and may even work to kill it. This is due to it’s antimicrobial properties. Although some studies showed lavender oil’s effectiveness against lice, it should not be used to replace a prescribed treatment plan.
5. Boosts shine. Lavender oil is primarily found in products like hair oils and serums because of its ability to boost shine and vibrancy. Lavender oil also has smoothing properties that work to eliminate frizz and texture. It works great to effectively condition your strands and reveal healthier hair.
How to use lavender oil in your hair.
The best way to allow your hair to receive the full benefits of lavender oil is through applying it topically. FYAB Health makes a hydrating Lavender Hair Oil that is formulated with lavender essential oils as well as vitamin A & E, moringa oil, argan oil and jojoba seed oil. Applying a lavender hair oil on damp hair, after a shower, can help improve your hair’s texture and lock in moisture for long-lasting hydration. When applying, massage the oil into your scalp and work your way down to coat your strands.
Lee, B. H., Lee, J. S., & Kim, Y. C. (2016). Hair Growth-Promoting Effects of Lavender Oil in C57BL/6 Mice. Toxicological research, 32(2), 103–108. https://doi.org/10.5487/TR.2016.32.2.103
Dupuy, Nathalie & Gaydou, Vincent & Kister, Jacky. (2014). Quantitative Analysis of Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) Essential Oil Using Multiblock Data from Infrared Spectroscopy. American Journal of Analytical Chemistry. 5. 633-645. 10.4236/ajac.2014.510071.
Barker, S.C., Altman, P.M. An ex vivo, assessor blind, randomised, parallel group, comparative efficacy trial of the ovicidal activity of three pediculicides after a single application – melaleuca oil and lavender oil, eucalyptus oil and lemon tea tree oil, and a “suffocation” pediculicide. BMC Dermatol 11, 14 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-5945-11-14