A hot, humid day can quickly turn anyone’s hair style from straight and shiny to puffy and dry in the matter of minutes. And don’t get me started on the curly haired girls that already have natural frizz, by the end of the day, put-together curls turn into a messy afro. This is every girl’s worst nightmare…frizzy hair! Frizzy hair is caused by a raised cuticle, when the air contains excess moisture it enters the hair shaft causing it to swell. So how can you smooth out your strands and fight the irritating effects of frizz? The following are 5 tips you can follow to help improve your hair’s overall smoothness.
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo. Shampoos with sulfates often strip your hair of its natural oils, leaving it dry and more susceptible to frizz. A sulfate-free formula is gentler on the hair and provides you with intense hydration and moisture that is necessary to fight back on frizz and leave your hair feeling smooth and silky. Not only do sulfates leave your hair dry, they can also have long-term damaging effects on your strands. Fyab’s Hair Vitality Shampoo is free from sulfates and parabens to gently cleanse and reveal healthier, smoother, more vibrant hair from root to tip. It also works to combat environmental aggressors, like humidity, by forming a protective layer between your hair and the atmosphere.
- Brush your hair while it is wet. If you have naturally curly or wavy hair, you have probably noticed how frizzy your hair can get when dry brushing it. Dry brushing your hair often ruins the natural curl pattern, causing your hair to puff out more. One simple way this can be avoided is by brushing your hair while it is still wet in the shower. Fyab recommends leaving the Hair Vitality Conditioner in your hair for about 4 minutes and brushing through it with a paddle brush in the shower. Not only does this help you avoid frizz, but it also evenly distributes the conditioner throughout your head to ensure every strand is covered. By the time you get out of the shower, your hair will maintain its natural curl pattern and appear less frizzy.
- Smooth frizzy hair with a rich serum. Applying a rich, nourishing serum to your hair while it is still wet can help create a barrier between your strands and the atmosphere. A good serum can help keep humidity from penetrating your hair cuticles and smooth out your flyaways. As the first tip mentioned, it is important to avoid dry hair from the get-go, a serum can deeply moisturize and strengthen your hair to fight environmental stressors. Fyab’s Hair Vitality Serum is specifically formulated with 28 beneficial ingredients to target dry, damaged hair and deeply hydrate strands.
- Sleep on a silk pillowcase. It has been said time and time again that cotton causes hair breakage and shedding, which is why silk pillowcases are so highly recommended. Silk helps your hair maintain its natural oils while you sleep. It’s smooth feeling also ensures you have less breakage and fall-out. Silk pillowcases also work perfectly to maintain the longevity of a hairstyle which means less time spent heat styling.
- Incorporate hair masks into your hair care routine. A deep-conditioning mask treatment done once a week can drastically improve your hair’s texture. Hair masks often help fill in any gaps left in your hair shaft that often causes frizz and puff. Try a store-bought mask or look up a recipe to make your own with ingredients you may find laying around your kitchen! Experts also recommend applying a hair mask to dry hair for 30 minutes if you have drier, more damaged hair. This provides deeper hydration and allows your hairs natural state to soak up all the vitamins and nutrients incorporated within the hair mask. Remember…hydration combats frizz!