When it comes to maintaining curly hair, there tends to be a lot of misconceptions. The difficulty with caring for curly hair is how dry and frizzy curls actually tend to get. There are so many conflicting tips and tricks out there that it can be hard to determine what actually works. Curly hair tends to be one of the most desired hair types, but can get very puffy and unflattering when mistreated. Although the same strategies may not work for everyone, the following are 5 hair care tips to maintaining gorgeous, luscious curls.
- Time your washes with the right shampoo. Curly hair tends to be very dry, hence the formation of curls from the hair cuticle. Because of this reason, it is important not to over shampoo your hair. Excessively washing your hair three or more times a week can strip your strands of their natural oils and open up your hair cuticles. This will only cause drier, frizzier hair and may even lead to shedding and thinning. Try shampooing your hair twice a week and applying a dry shampoo in-between washes to keep your hair fresh. With that being said, the right shampoo is also important. Avoid shampoos containing sulfates and parabens as they work to dry out your hair. Try Fyab’s Hair Vitality Shampoo and Conditioner free from sulfates and parabens and formulated with nourishing ingredients like saw palmetto and caffeine for thicker, stronger hair.
- Do NOT brush your curls. If you have tried this before, you may have noticed that brushing your curls led to breaking the uniformity and added frizz and static. Aggressively brushing your curly hair can also lead to excess breakage and split ends. In order to maintain your beautifully uniformed curls and combat damage, switch to a wide tooth comb. The easiest time to comb your strands would be after a shower but keep in mind to be extremely gentle. Wet hair tends to break faster so start combing from the ends, working your way up to the roots.
- Manage how you sleep. Curls can get messy while you sleep and you can end up waking up with a giant puffy mess. There are several ways you can change how you sleep to help maintain the uniformity of your curls. A cotton pillow case tends to absorb your hairs natural oils and excessively dry out your strands. Switching to a silk pillow case may solve this problem. Silk pillow cases work to maintain your hairs natural oils while also causing it less friction than a cotton pillow case. If you choose to stick to your cotton pillowcases, try putting your hair in a loose ponytail or bun. This will help maintain the integrity of your hairs texture while you sleep and keep the strands in place.
- Use a styling cream. Although you may already have naturally bouncy curls without product, incorporating a styling cream can really help set these curls in place for longevity. Scrunch a nourishing styling cream into your wet strands after a shower and notice the difference! Your curls will appear more uniformed, bouncy and stay in place for longer periods of time. A styling cream can also help protect your curls from environmental stressors like humidity that causes frizz. Try finding a lightweight cream that won’t leave your hair feeling heavy and crunchy.
- Hair oils are your new BFF. As I previously mentioned, curly hair is dry so any product that can help combat this is a lifesaver. A hair oil can work wonders to top-off your curls and leaves them looking more vibrant and shiny. Applying hair oil onto your scalp also helps improve blood circulation which promotes fuller hair. Incorporate an oil formula that deeply hydrates and nourishes like Fyab’s Hair Vitality Hair Oils with Jojoba Seed oil, Moringa oil, and Argan oil to deeply penetrate your strands and lock in moisture.